FotoWare software uses an activation system that relies on a working Internet connection to function properly. However, if your system is behind a restrictive firewall or has limited connectivity for other reasons, there is a manual activation procedure to allow you to activate and run the software even in such environments.
Steps to perform an offline activation
The offline activation procedure only becomes available if the FotoWare Activation Assistant fails to establish a connection to the Internet. When this happens you get the option of doing it the manual (offline) way.
From a technical point of view, the manual activation procedure works just like the online one.
1. The first step is to create an activation request file. This file contains a binary “fingerprint” of the computer where you want to activate the software.
This file is created when you click on the Create Request File button in the Activation Assistant. The file must then be copied to a computer with a working Internet connection, for example using a USB memory stick.
2. Using a computer with an Internet connection, go to https://licenses.fotoware.com/offline-activation (external link)
3. Log in to the Customer portal to access the activation reset tool
3. Click on Browse to locate the activation request file and click Submit.
4. FotoWare will process the file and return the Activation Response File directly in your browser. This file is only valid for activating the software on the machine where you originally created the fingerprint file.
5. Copy the Activation Response file back to the machine where the software should be activated. From here, the procedure differs based on whether you have a Windows or a Macintosh system
Note: The activation response file (file extension .fwar) should be 2kb or more in size. If it's only 1kb, it typically means that the offline activation request failed. In that case, repeat steps 2-5 until you get a response file back that is larger. A 1kb activation response file will fail to activate the software when proceeding to point 6 above.
Having copied the file to e.g. the desktop, simply double-click on the file to activate the software.
1. Open the Applications folder.
2. Right-click on the FotoStation application icon and choose Show Package Contents
3. Expand the Contents folder and then expand the MacOS folder.
4. Start the Terminal application
5. Drag the FotoWare-Activation-Assistant into the Terminal window.
6. Drag the Activation Response file from FotoWare into the terminal.
This should produce this syntax in the Terminal window: (The path to and name of the Activation Response file may differ based on where you have stored it):
7. Press Enter / Return to execute the command and activate the software.
If, when following the above procedure for Mac, you receive an error message saying that the file is already open, perform the offline activation this way:
1. Start the Terminal application
3. Press Enter
(where /Users/username/response.fwar should be replaced with the path and filename of the activation response file), then press Enter.
This should complete the activation and allow you to run your FotoWare software.